A Personal Insurance and Safety Update
In 2016, 17,200 people went to emergency rooms because of barbeque related accidents. Sixteen percent of home structure fires involving a grill were caused during ignition because something flammable was too close to the grill. Twenty percent of all reported grill fires were a result of leaks or breaks. Gas grills account for more home fires overall than do charcoal grills. Emergency rooms see the use of gasoline on a charcoal grill as the most common error associated with burn cases.
You might think you know all you need to know about barbeque safety and grilling, but here are some reminders. We want your grilling experience to be fun and safe for the entire family. Your homeowner’s insurance is designed to protect yourself and your property from unforeseen injury and/or damage. However, remember that there are limitations with your homeowner’s insurance policy.
General Grilling Safety
- Never barbecue inside, in a garage, on the roof, or on a second story deck.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- If you are using a charcoal grill, let the lighter fluid soak into the coals a few minutes before lighting them so that any vapors have time to evaporate. When you do light the coals, stand back.
- Do not use lighter fluid on hot coals.
- Open the grill lid before you light it
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing.
- Keep an extinguisher outside or close by.
- Make sure you use the grill 10 feet away from your house.
- Use the grill close to a water source.
- Do not let raw meat sit out too long without being chilled or cooked.
- Always wash your hands before and after handling food.
- Do not over-indulge in alcohol while barbecuing.
Worthington Insurance specializing in competitive auto, home, contractor and business insurance as well as insurance in Philadelphia, Yardley, Morrisville, Langhorne, Newtown, Bensalem, Levittown, Bucks County and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey